A look at the deadly Boston Marathon bombing

Two explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday killed three people and wounded scores. A look at the facts in the case:



Two bombs exploded about 10 seconds and 100 yards apart at about 2:50 p.m. Monday in Boston’s Copley Square, near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. An 8-year-old boy, a 29-year-old woman and a 23-year-old graduate student from China were killed, and more than 180 people were wounded. The explosions occurred about four hours into the race and two hours after the winners had crossed the finish line, but thousands of runners were still on the course.



One of two suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing was killed early Friday shortly after the fatal shooting of campus police officer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in nearby Cambridge, Mass. A massive manhunt was under way for the other suspect in the Watertown, Mass., area.

Authorities have said they believe the bombs used were fashioned out of ordinary kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails, ball bearings and metal shards. They suspect the bombs were hidden in duffel bags and left on the ground.



The 8-year-old killed in the bombings, Martin Richard, was remembered by friends and neighbors as a vivacious boy who loved to run, climb and play sports. Also killed was Krystle Campbell, a 29-year-old restaurant manager from Arlington, Mass., whose father, William Campbell, said she had gone with a friend to watch the race.

The third victim, 23-year-old Lu Lingzi, was a graduate student at Boston University studying mathematics and statistics. She was scheduled to receive her graduate degree in 2015.

Boston hospitals reported seven people in critical condition on Thursday, down from 14 on Wednesday. At least two of those are children, both at Boston Children’s Hospital.



Speaking at a Boston vigil honoring the victims, President Barack Obama declared Thursday the city “will run again” and vowed to hunt down the perpetrator of the bombings.

“If they sought to intimidate us, to terrorize us … It should be pretty clear right now that they picked the wrong city to do it,” Obama said.

“We may be momentarily knocked off our feet,” Obama said. “But we’ll pick ourselves up. We’ll keep going. We will finish the race.”



Authorities urged residents of cities and towns west of Boston to stay home and stay indoors on Friday while law enforcement officers searched for the remaining suspect. The mass transit system was shut down and officials said businesses would not be allowed to open.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s