All three Kansas prison escapees in custody

This photo combo of undated images provided by the Kansas Department of Corrections shows inmates, from left, Randy A. Ridens Sr., Allen M. Hurst and Scott A. Gilbert. The three inmates walked away from a minimum-security unit at the Lansing Correctional Facility in Kansas, Friday, May 10, 2013. (AP Photo/Kansas Department of Corrections)

[lin_video src=×9&auto_start=1&div_id=videoplayer-1368457522&height=480&page_count=5&pf_id=9622&show_title=1&va_id=4054920&width=640&windows=1 service=syndicaster width=640 height=480 div_id=videoplayer-1368457522 type=script]

TOPEKA – All three inmates who escaped from a northeast Kansas prison Friday morning are back at Lansing Correctional Facility.  Randy Ridens, Sr., was arrested Friday night at a Topeka home.

Officials say a third inmate who walked away from a northeast Kansas prison has been apprehended, hours after the other two surrendered in Missouri.

The Kansas Department of Corrections says 57-year-old Randy Ridens Sr., 57, was taken into custody at 10:22 p.m. Friday as he was entering Topeka. He was taken back to Lansing Correctional Facility in Kansas.  31-year-old Allen M. Hurst, 31, and Scott A. Gilbert, 49,  were arrested earlier the same day in Platte Co. Missouri after a stand off at a rural house.

The three were reported missing at 7:20 a.m. The trio walked away from the minimum security unit of the prison.  Jeremy Barclay, a Kansas Department of Corrections spokesperson, says they were supervised, but they were not fenced in at the time.

U.S. Marshals monitored homes in Shawnee and Douglas counties where they suspected Ridens may head after his escape.  Barclay said nobody was injured during the arrest, which took place inside the home.

All three escapees will face charges stemming from his escape in Leavenworth county.  Hurst and Gilbert have been charged with 12 felonies in Platte County, MO., including trying to kidnap the mayor of the small town where they were eventually captured.

Platte County Prosecutor Eric Zahnd said  Gilbert and Hurst stopped their stolen car briefly during a pursuit with police and pointed a gun at Edgerton Mayor James Snook Jr., who was watching the chase.

The men ordered Snook to get in the car, but he refused and safely fled the area.

The two eventually gave themselves up after allegedly trashing the inside of a home while police surrounded the outside and negotiated with them to surrender.  They walked out from under a porch and were taken without more violence.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s