Structure fire in Wamego, dog saves man’s life

Photo By: Don Bolerjack, Kansas First News

Man’s best friend may have helped save a man’s life this morning.

Fire crews were still on the scene late this morning at a house fire in Wamego.  The fire broke out around 3 this morning at the home in the 300 block of Poplar.

A person was at home at the time of the fire and Kansas First News was told his dog alerted him to the fire and he was able to get out safely.  Firefighters tried to resuscitate the dog but it had already perished.

Assistance from the Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office was requested. The initial indicators pointed to the fire starting on the front porch. Due to evidence recovered, this incident is being investigated as an aggravated arson. The amount of loss is undetermined at this time.

Agencies responding to the scene included: Wamego Fire, Louisville Fire, St. George Fire, Pottawatomie County EMS, Pottawatomie County Sheriff, St. Marys Police, and Wamego Police.

Persons with information concerning this crime are encouraged to contact the Wamego Police Department at (785) 456-9553 or the Kansas Bureau of Investigation at (800) KS-CRIME (800-572-7463).

No damage estimate has been released.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s