Group: Dozens killed in Central African Republic

BANGUI, Central African Republic (AP) — An international aid organization says dozens of people have been slaughtered in a remote village in Central African Republic and their bodies tossed in a nearby river.

In a statement released Friday, Caritas said the violence had taken place over the last two weeks in a village called Ouhman-Bac in the country’s northwest.

Father Aurelio Gazzera said between 30 and 50 bodies had been dumped into the river, and other terrified residents fled the remote area.

The massacre is being blamed on rebels from Seleka, an alliance that brought fighters together to overthrow the government earlier this year.

Seleka officials have dismissed reports from human rights groups accusing the fighters of human rights abuses, saying the violence had been perpetrated by other armed groups.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s