Trial delayed for Army general facing sex charges

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (AP) — The Fort Bragg court-martial of a U.S. Army general facing assault charges has been postponed.

The trial of Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Sinclair had been scheduled to begin next Monday. A statement from Fort Bragg on Tuesday said the judge overseeing the case rescheduled the trial for Jan. 7 after a request from Sinclair’s defense team.

Sinclair’s chief civilian lawyer Rich Scheff said the delay was triggered by several procedural issues, including the appeal of pretrial motions denied by the trial judge.

Sinclair has pleaded not guilty to eight criminal charges including forcible sodomy, indecent acts, violating orders and adultery. Most stem from a three-year affair with a female captain who says Sinclair twice forced her to perform oral sex while she served under his command in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s