The Manhattan Fire Department was dispatched to 3114 Gary Avenue for a report of a structure fire around noon Thursday.
Crews found a two-story, single family residence with smoke and fire visible from the roof.
Firefighters made entry into the structure and performed a search and attempted to control the fire from the interior of the building.
With wind gusts upwards of 30 mph and the roof collapsing, crews were forced out of the building and had to fight the fire from the exterior. The fire reached a second alarm before it was contained within approximately one hour.
No one was home at the time of the fire. Two dogs and one cat were rescued from the building.
There is approximately $200,000 in damage to the home.
Fire officials have labeled the cause of the fire as “accidental,” caused by discarded smoking materials.