Mail thefts continue to be a problem in Shawnee County according to the Sheriff’s Office.
Here are some way to make sure you don’t fall victim:
1. Keep in mind that thieves are alerted to your mailbox when the red flag is up.
2. Pick up your mail promptly after delivery, don’t leave it in your mailbox overnight.
3. Don’t send cash and be cautious of checks in the mail.
4. Tell your post office when you’ll be out of town, they can hold your mail until your return.
5. Consider starting a neighborhood watch program to keep an eye on mailboxes and of course report any suspicious activity to the Shawnee County Sheriff’s Office.