House fire in central Topeka

Photo By: Rocky Arnold, Kansas First News

The Topeka Fire Department responded to a reported house fire at 1301 SW 11th St, shortly after 6:38 a.m. Tuesday.

The first arriving fire crews reported heavy fire coming from the front of the house on the third floor.  Fire crews were met by the two occupants, who had escaped the fire, and were able to confirm there were no additional occupants within the structure.

Firefighters made an interior attack of the fire and were able to quickly contain, and extinguish, the blaze; the house sustained extensive fire and smoke damage.

The Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to this incident to determine the origin and the cause for the fire.

The following is a brief summary;

  • Origin of the fire was determined to be in the southwest section of the third floor (attic) area of the house.
  • Cause (of this fire) is being classified as accidental, associated with a failure of structural wiring in the attic.
  • Estimated dollar loss – $ 45,000; $30,000 estimated structural damages/loss and $15,000 were estimated content damages/loss.
  • Time of the alarm was 6:38 A.M.
  • Three Engine Companies, One Truck Company, and One Aerial Company responded to the alarm along with one Shift Commander, one Battalion Chief, and one Fire Investigator.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s