Space heaters cause multiple fires in Topeka

Fire administration

There have been about eight fires in less than two weeks and Topeka Fire Officials say they need your help.

January and February are some of the busiest months for firefighters, largely because of space heaters and other devices people use to keep warm.

In fact, Tuesday morning’s fire in the 4100 block of 34th was caused by an over loaded circuit, too many heaters were plugged into a single outlet.

Michael Martin with the Topeka Fire Department says the public can prevent these fires.

“If you are going to use a space heater, lets make sure it’s in good shape,” says Martin. “Look at the cords, make sure there’s no frays in the cords, never keep anything around, keep at least three feet away from that space heater, anything combustible, you want to make sure when you go to bed at night you want to turn it off we just want to make sure that if you want to use those appliances then you need to make sure their in safe and good working order.”

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s