Crews respond to Topeka apartment fire

City of Topeka Fire Department responded to a fire at 1205 SW Polk Street just after 4:30pm Thursday.

When crews got to the scene, they found heavy smoke coming from apartment 7A.

Fire crews made an aggressive attack on the fire and were able to contain the fire to the apartment.

No one was inside at the time.

The fire was quickly extingushied.

An investigation showed the fire started in the living room of the apartment, on or near an upholstered chair.

The cause of the fire is accidental, associated with an improperly discarded cigarette.

Only one apartment was damaged.

The total estimated damages are $30,000 with $20,000 in damage to the structure and $10,000 damage to contents.

The Kansas Capital Area Chapter of the American Red Cross responded to the scene to provide immediate emergency assistance to the one adult resident of the apartment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s