LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — A girl has been judged competent to stand trial in the stabbing attack of another student last fall at Pius X High School in Lincoln.
Judge Steven Burns made the ruling on Wednesday in Lancaster County District Court in Lincoln after reviewing a letter from a psychiatrist, Dr. Y. Scott Moore. Burns didn’t release the letter for public access. Deputy Lancaster County Attorney Bruce Prenda had sought the evaluation.
In March the girl’s attorney filed notice that she would rely on an insanity defense. The judge has already rejected a defense request to have the case moved to juvenile court.
The Associated Press generally doesn’t identify juveniles accused of crimes. The girl turned 17 last month.
Lincoln police say she attacked 17-year-old Ellen Kopetzky at the school on Oct. 7. Kopetzky told police that her attacker swung wildly at her with a knife and stick and didn’t say a word. A knife with a serrated, 8-inch blade and a hammer were found later in the bathroom.
Kopetzky said she didn’t know her attacker’s name but recognized her as a junior at the Catholic school of about 1,100 students. Police and school officials have said they’ve found no direct connection between the two girls.
The girl fled in her boyfriend’s car that day and was found the next day in Yates Center, Kansas, where she’d been halted by mechanical trouble.
Kopetzky had facial surgery and returned to school about a week later.
Information from: Lincoln Journal Star, http://www.journalstar.com