Below is a list of events happening around Northeast Kansas on Memorial Day.
- Mount Hope Cemetery & Funeral Chapel will be hosting a Memorial Day Ceremony on Monday at 11 a.m. Senior Master Sergeant Doug Zerger will be the guest speaker. The ceremony will be held indoors in the main funeral chapel. Mount Hope Cemetery & Funeral Chapel is located at 4700 SW 17th Street.
- Grace Hospice is sponsoring a community wide event for all veterans and their families to be held at the Great Overland Station on Memorial Day. The event features a free BBQ luncheon for all veterans and their families. The first 500 veterans will receive a military challenge coin. Following lunch, the MOWW is presenting a Massing of the Colors ceremony. Kansas First News has received word this week that the guest speaker list includes, Mayor Wolgast, Senator Pat Roberts, MG Lee Tafanelli, MG Ken Jones, and Governor Brownback.
- Lt. Col. Erich Campbell, Senior Army Advisor for the Kansas National Guard, will be the guest speaker at a Memorial Day ceremony at VFW Post 1650, 3110 SW Huntoon, Topeka. The ceremony will begin at 11 a.m.
- The 1st Infantry Division and Fort Riley has scheduled its annual Memorial Day Ceremony. It is slated to begin at 11:40 a.m. May 26 at the Post Cemetery on Huebner Rd. The ceremony features Maj. Gen. Paul Funk II, Commanding General, 1st Infantry Division, as guest speaker, and Command Sgt. Maj. Michael Grinston, Senior Enlisted for the 1st Infantry Division and Fort Riley, who will lay the commemorative wreath in honor of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. Fort Riley will join Military installations across the country in conducting a 21-Gun Salute at noon to honor fallen service members. This will be followed by the National Anthem and the raising of the flag to full staff. The 1st Infantry Division Band will provide music before and during the ceremony. All graves in the Post Cemetery will be decorated with U.S. flags.
- Emporia will be holding a Memorial Day ceremony at 9:15 a.m. on Monday at the All Veterans Memorial. Master of Ceremonies will be Steve Harmon. The public is invited at 11:00 a.m. to join the American Legion Post 5 and the veterans for Foreign Wars Post 1980 Color Guards and Firing Squads at Americus Cemetery for a Memorial service.
- Col. John Andrew, chief of staff for the 35th Infantry Division, will be the guest speaker at a Memorial Day ceremony in Hiawatha, Kan. The ceremony will be held at the Brown County Courthouse, 601 Oregon St., and will begin at 12 p.m.
- Lt. Col. Thomas Burke, finance officer, 35th Infantry Division, will be the guest speaker at a Memorial Day ceremony in Holton, Kan. Master Sgt. Antonio Slaughter, ammunition manager, 35th Infantry Division, will be the master of ceremonies. The ceremony is being held in memory of Master Sgt. Bernard “Bernie” Lee Deghand. Deghand was a member of the Kansas National Guard and was killed in action in Afghanistan on Sept. 15, 2006. The ceremony will be at the Holton Town Square and begins at 12 p.m. (noon).