HAYSVILLE, Kan. (AP) — A Kansas teenager is recovering at home after spending three days in intensive care recovering from a scorpion sting.
Fifteen-year-old Parker Hartley of Haysville Hartley was bitten Friday after he played Frisbee Golf at a park in Haysville, while he was barefoot. He put on his shoes after the game and felt a sharp sting and instant pain.
KAKE-TV reports Hartley’s parents at first thought he had been stung by a bee or wasp. But within 24 hours, his foot had swollen and Hartley said the pain was unbearable. A nurse at Wesley’s emergency room recognized the sting and he was hospitalized.
Experts say scorpions hide in dark places, so check your shoes if they’ve been outside, or in sheds.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.