Fire destroys Emporia Sr. Living Facility

Courtesy: KVOE
Courtesy: KVOE

EMPORIA (KSNT) – An overnight fire that destroyed a senior living facility in Emporia early Saturday morning has been ruled accidental.

According to the Emporia Fire Department and the Kansas State Marshal’s Office, the fire was started by an improper disposal of an already discharged firework.

According to the Emporia Gazette, all the residents of the facility are safe, and Kansas First News has learned they’ve been given temporary housing at a nearby motel.

According to the newspaper, the fire began shortly after midnight at the Sterling House residential home at 1200 W. 12th Ave.

The fire gutted the building.

According to the company’s website, “(a)ssisted living facilities are an apartment-style habitat designed to focus on providing assistance with daily living activities. They provide a higher level of service for the elderly which can include preparing meals, housekeeping, medication assistance, laundry, and also do regular check-in’s on the residents. Basically, they are designed to bridge the gap between independent living and nursing home facilities.”

Check back for the latest details on this developing story.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s