According to The Topeka Capital Journal, some of the fruit recalled for possible listeria contamination was sold at the Topeka Sam’s Club, 1401 S.W. Wannamaker.
Brian Nick, a spokesman for Walmart, which owns Sam’s Club, said they have been calling and emailing members who purchased the items affected by the recall. Members who bought recalled products can request a refund, he said.
Recalled fruits include fresh plums, peaches, nectarines, and pluots, according to Wawona packing Company, a California company that instituted the recall. The affected fruit was packaged between June 1 and July 12,and many have stickers labeled “Sweet2Eat.” The company suggested throwing away any affected fruit.
Listeria is a bacterial infection that comes from eating contaminated food. It can lead to fever, aches and diarrhea, with more sever symptoms in older people, young children and people with compromised immune systems. Pregnant women should be especially careful, as the bacteria can cause miscarriage or meningitis in newborns.
Listeria can be killed by cooking, so many infections come from produce or ready-to-eat meats and cheeses.