Wichita toddler burned in home accident

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — Hairspray and a candle are blamed for a fire that left a 2-year-old Wichita boy with second-degree burns.

KAKE-TV reports the accident happened Monday afternoon in the western part of the city.

Police say a 12-year-old and an 8-year-old were watching their younger siblings while their parents were at work. The older children left the toddler on a bathroom counter after brushing their teeth.

The 2-year-old knocked over a plastic bottle containing a flammable liquid thought to be hairspray, and a candle ignited the liquid.

Police said the 12-year-old carried the toddler to the home of a neighbor, who called for help. The 2-year-old was hospitalized with burns on his upper body.

No criminal charges are expected.

 

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s