Man’s RV catches fire before trip

TOPEKA, Kan.(Topeka Capital Journal)- Dennis Millard was watching the news on TV on Friday night while his RV, almost packed and ready for a 7-hour trip to Iowa with his grandkids, idled near his barn.

When he walked outside, he saw what looked like a grass fire underneath the vehicle. Fire appeared to be dripping from the front of the RV’s undercarriage.

Millard first tried to use a garden hose to extinguish the blaze, but it only grew hotter.

Millard called 911 around 6 p.m., and Shawnee Heights Fire Department crews arrived at his home on S.E. 2nd about ten minutes later.

Battalion Chief Scott Price said when crews arrived, the RV was on fire and the barn next to it was starting to catch fire also.

Crews initially had trouble gaining access to the property because their engine was too wide to enter between two concrete columns at the end of the driveway. Price said firefighters had to run the hoses out from a greater distance before they could begin to fight the flames.

Seven minutes after their arrival, the fire was deemed under control, Price said.

Millard thought the fire was started by a fuel leak, and he said he was glad the fire started before he and his faily left on their trip to Iowa for a family reunion Sunday.

 

Samantha Foster

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s