California regulator: alter nuke-plant deal

SAN CLEMENTE, Calif. (AP) — The state regulator overseeing the closure of Southern California’s San Onofre nuclear power plant says that a settlement outlining who pays for the work needs to be a better deal for consumers.

Michael Florio is the California Public Utilities Commission member handling the multibillion dollar proposed settlement.

He said Friday that the proposal, which the plant’s operators hammered out with consumer groups, “unfairly favors shareholders over consumers” and the commission would not consider approving it as is.

The settlement’s supporters have estimated it could cost utility customers about $3.3 billion, while saving them $1.4 billion in additional charges.

Southern California Edison closed San Onofre last year. The plant had been shut after a small radiation leak led to the discovery of extensive damage to tubing that carried radioactive water.

 

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s