HOYT (KSNT) – A series of explosions rocked a machine shop in downtown Hoyt Monday evening creating a fire which destroyed the shop.
Jackson County Sheriff’s dispatchers say the emergency call came about 5:15 Monday evening at the Tool Works Machine Shop located at the corner of East 4th Street and Central Avenue.
Hoyt resident Chris Curtis tells Kansas First News he heard a large, initial explosion followed by several smaller ones and “then the building went up in flames”.
Fire units from Hoyt, Mayetta and the Potawatomi Indian Nation all responded to the fire, but were unable to save the structure.
Jackson County Sheriff Tim Morse says it took about an hour to bring the fire under control and that the explosioins were caused by propane and acetylene bottles exploding.
Morse adds the heat of the fire was so intense it melted siding on the Hoyt City Hall across the street, some 100 yards away.
The cause is believed to have been caused by a gasoline powered golf cart which had been running prior to being placed inside the building where the fire is believed to have started.
There’s no damage estimate at this time.