Threat leads to evacuation of Sandy Hook school

MONROE, Conn. (AP) — A bomb threat has led to the evacuation of the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.

Monroe Police Lt. Brian McCauley says the threat was called in to the school at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday and the evacuation was ordered as a precaution. He says the school building and grounds were checked and no evidence of danger was found.

Nancy Bartosik of the Monroe superintendent’s office says the school was dismissed early and students moved to a nearby school to be picked up by their parents.

A gunman killed 20 first-grade students and six educators at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown on December 2012. The students resumed classes in a school in the neighboring town of Monroe, also called Sandy Hook Elementary School. The original school building was torn down last year.

 

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s