Plans in motion for new elementary school in Holton

Classroom welcome sign

 

HOLTON (KSNT) – Plans for a new elementary school are in motion for USD 336 in Holton.

According to Superintendent Dennis Stones, a $21.5 million bond issue was passed by the community last year. Stones said the state will provide 55 percent of that funding and local taxpayers will pay for the remaining 45 percent.

The current schools are old and too small to accommodate the district’s growing number of students. The new school will be built for 600 kids and will be well-equipped to handle current teaching technology.

The school will be built across the street from the current Colorado Elementary in Holton. Stones said the homes across the street have all been purchased. Eventually they’ll be knocked down to make room for the new facility.

The students at Holton’s two elementary schools–Colorado and Central–will be combined into one new school built on that plot of land. Stones could not confirm the name of the new elementary school.

Stones said the facility will be completed by May 2016 and ready for students by August of that year.

According to the school district’s blog, The Rumor Mill, these are the plans for the new school:

  • 78,200 square feet
  • 600 students
  • 5 classrooms per grade K-5 plus 2 PK classrooms
    (32 total classrooms)
  • 1 gym with bleachers – sized as a competitive court
  • High Wind Shelter (not FEMA)
  • 1 library
  • Secure vestibule at main entrance
  • No auditorium
  • 1 commons for dining and large group meetings
  • 1 prep kitchen with servery
  • There is an allowance for technology and security systems
  • Bathrooms by code requirements
  • Multiple storage areas of varying size throughout the building

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s