Lawyer: Bill Cosby won’t address allegations

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Bill Cosby will not dignify “decade-old, discredited” claims of sexual abuse with a response, his attorney said Sunday, the first reaction from the comedian to an increasing uproar over allegations that he sexually assaulted several women in the past.

In a statement released to The Associated Press and posted online, attorney John P. Schmitt said the fact that the allegations are being repeated does not make them true.

He doesn’t intend to “dignify” the allegations with a comment.

There has been a growing uproar over allegations that Cosby assaulted several women in the past.

The renewed attention to a dark chapter for Cosby began last month when a comedian, Hannibal Buress, assailed the veteran entertainer during a stand-up performance in Philadelphia, calling him a “rapist.” His remarks were captured on video and posted online, gaining wide exposure.

One of Cosby’s accusers, Barbara Bowman, recently leveled allegations of sexual assault against him in interviews and in an online column.

Cosby, who was never criminally charged in any of the cases, settled a civil suit in 2006 with another woman over an alleged incident two years before.

 

 

 

 

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s