Qatar bars US couple from leaving after acquittal

DOHA, Qatar (AP) — A representative for the family of an American couple cleared by a Qatari appeals court of wrongdoing in the death of their adopted daughter says they have been barred from leaving the Gulf nation.

Eric Volz is coordinating legal and publicity efforts for the family and is with them in the Qatari capital, Doha. He told The Associated Press that Qatari immigration officials blocked Matthew and Grace Huang from leaving Sunday and confiscated their passports just hours after an appeals court overturned a child endangerment verdict against them.

The couple had been banned from leaving Qatar while their case made its way through the courts, but the appeals court ruled Sunday they were free to leave.

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s