Water line fail extinguishes Manhattan apartment fire

MANHATTAN (KSNT) -Fire fighters spent Thursday afternoon battling an apartment fire in Manhattan.

Just after 3:00 Thursday afternoon, the Manhattan Fire Department was dispatched to 1105 Ratone Street Apartment 11 for a report of a structure fire.

When fire fighters arrived, they found a three story apartment building with light smoke showing from the rear of the building. Firefighters entered the smoke filled apartment and found an extinguished fire in the bathroom.

According to a release from the Manhattan Fire Department, the fire started in a trash can and spread to the cabinets. The heat from the fire caused a water line to fail and extinguished the fire. The fire was handled by the first two units, who worked on scene for over one hour. A total of 18 firefighters initially responded on 5 fire apparatus with the last units clearing at around 4:50 p.m.

The apartment building is a 12 unit apartment building and the resident of Apartment 11 was not home at the time of the fire. Loss is estimated at $5,000 to contents and $3,000 to the structure. The owner is listed as Abe and Fay Fattaey. The fire cause is listed as accidental.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s