Homeless man loses everything in a fire caused by his candle

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) – A homeless amputee has lost nearly everything he owned – including his prosthetic legs – after a candle he was using to stay warm started a fire in a Topeka storage facility.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reports the blaze, reported at 12:42 a.m. Tuesday, caused $135,000 in damage at AAA Self Storage. A local advocate for the homeless says the man had been living in the storage units for two months.

Advocate Justyn Hosman says the man lost “everything but himself and his wheelchair.” Hosman says he saw a melted prosthetic leg at the fire scene.

He says the unidentified man lost his legs several years ago when he was struck by a train near the Topeka Rescue Mission.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s