Capper Creations Gift Shop offers unique gifts

TOPEKA (KSNT) – You may be rushing to get those last minute Christmas gifts but there are some items at a Topeka gift shop that you can not find anywhere else.

They’re homemade and one of a kind. Items from candles to furniture all at the Capper Creations Gift Shop.

“I enjoy working here,” gift shop worker Diane Hannigan said.

Adults with disabilities like Hannigan create all of the items. It’s to help them develop art and real world business skills.

“This gets them ready to get out to the community and have a competitive working wage out there,” Capper Creations Gift Shop Manager Chris Ostrander said.

Everything you see in the shop are made by 20 adults at the Capper Foundation in the art studio down the hall.

Since it’s opening last week, the store has already sold more than $1,000 worth of merchandise. Each crafter takes back 95% of the what their items sells for, the remaining 5% goes to buying supplies.

“The customers that come in are just amazed at what we have and talent that we have,” Ostrander said.

Shoppers can uncover that hidden talent all while motivating and encouraging the artists behind it.

The store at 3500 SW 10th Ave is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s