TOPEKA (KSNT) – The City of Topeka says individuals interested in running for office in the City of Topeka may now pick up an application in the City Clerk’s Office, or online at http://www.topeka.org/CityClerk/elections.shtml.
City Council primary elections for Council Districts 2, 4, 6, and 8 will take place on March 3, 2015. The top two candidates in each district will compete in the general election on April 7, 2015.
Those seeking office should submit an application to the City Clerk’s Office located on the 1st Floor of City Hall, Room 166, 215 SE 7th Street, Topeka, Kansas. The deadline for filing in the Clerk’s Office is 12:00 p.m. on January 27, 2015.
Incumbents include TJ Brown from District No. 2, Denise Everhart of District No. 4, Chad Manspeaker of District No. 6 and Nathan Schmidt of District No. 8.
- Each District Councilmember shall be a citizen of the United States and a qualified elector of Topeka, Kansas.
- District Councilmembers shall be residents of their respective districts at the time of filing for election and thereafter for the duration of their terms.
- Candidates for Councilmember shall disclose any felony conviction at the time of filing for office.
- Pay a $35 State of Kansas registration fee payable to the City of Topeka (required by K.S.A. 25-4119 as amended, effective July 1, 2000)
- Pay a Councilmember filing fee of $50 payable to the Shawnee County Election Commission, or submit a petition signed by fifty (50) qualified electors of the candidate’s Council District.
- Complete a Candidate’s Declaration of Intention form and submit to the City Clerk’s office.
- Complete a Statement of Substantial Interest form. This form must be completed by the candidate and returned to the City Clerk’s office by 5:00 p.m., Friday, February 6, 2015 – no more than 10 days after the filing deadline.