Witness describes car crashing into home during Topeka homicide

TOPEKA (KSNT) – Topeka police is investigating the city’s first homicide of 2015, a teenage boy.

It all happened Monday night when 18-year old Colton Christenson was shot in his car, causing him to crash into the front porch of a home nearby.

The police tape was gone Tuesday evening, but what remains is the porch that was completely wrecked.

“Me and my brother were sitting on this couch, watch a movie,” Danny Lytle tells Kansas First News.

But what was happening in the alley across the street from their home would soon come to a crashing halt right at their door step.

“We just heard a car rev and then a really loud ban right outside here,” says Lytle.

Then came a frantic knock on the door from another passenger in the car.

“He was pretty hysterical,” says Lytle “like he was yelling.”

That was Danny Lytle’s sign to call 911.

“He said his friend got shot,” says Lytle “and that he needed help.”

Needed help for his friend, 18-year old Colton Christenson, who was fatally shot.

“At which time the suspect produced a weapon,” says TPD Lt. Ash Kaboudan “and they told him OK, and the fight ended, and they asked him to leave the car.”

But by then it was too late.

“As he stepped out of the car,” continued Kaboudan “he fired one shot striking the driver the driver of the vehicle.”

Giving the suspect enough time to escape.

Topeka police later pulled over a car they thought was connected to the suspect, but he wasn’t in the car.

As for Lytle, he says one of the officers told him on the scene it could have been caused due to a drug deal gone wrong.

“One of my roommates said the car smelled like weed,” says Lytle.

“I don’t know where the officer got that information from at this point, says Kaboudan. “But like I said earlier this is an ongoing investigation and we’re looking into all aspects of what led to the shooting.”

A person of interest, 21-year-old Kelsey Lee Fairchild was arrested Tuesday night and booked into jail for murder and assault.

Kansas First News spoke with Colton’s older brother, Tanner.

He says his brother graduated from Seamen High School where he played on the school’s golf team and was currently attending Washburn University.

His family says he was a kind, hard working young man who had lots of friends and who’s life was taken too soon.

The family has set up a gofundme account online and is accepting donations at the Envista Credit Union in Topeka to help with funeral costs.

A viewing, which is open to the public, will be held at 3:00 p.m. Friday at the Penwell-Gabel Parker-Price Chapel at 245 Northwest Independence Avenue.

Family will then receive friends from 6-8:00 p.m..




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s