TOPEKA, Kan.(KSNT) – The Topeka Fire Department responded to an automatic fire alarm system activation at Value Place Hotel located on 1801 SW Westport Dr. around 9:00 AM Saturday. First arriving fire crews reported light smoke visible on the 2nd floor and confirmed that a small fire within room 215 had been extinguished. Further investigation by fire department personnel found that everyone had successfully evacuated the structure.
A Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to this incident to determine the origin and cause for the fire. The following is a brief summary;
- Preliminary investigation indicates the fire cause to be ACCIDENTAL, more likely than not associated with the placing of common combustible materials onto an electric stove top element.
- The origin was determined to be on the second level, Room 215.
- Estimated dollar loss – $5,000- all loss with the incident was determined structural.
- Room 215 was under renovation at the time of this fire and was not occupied.
- The initial response to this fire involved three Engine Companies, two Truck Companies, two Battalion Chiefs, One Safety Officer and an Investigator.
- One person was treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation and released.