George Zimmerman assault case dropped; ex-girlfriend recants

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — The ex-girlfriend of George Zimmerman gave a sworn statement in which she said she didn’t want any charges to be filed in the aggravated assault investigation that started when she told police officers he threw a wine bottle at her.

Brittany Brunelle said in the document, made public Friday, that she was under no pressure and had been offered no money to make the statement.

Officials had not previously identified Brunelle.

Prosecutors said Friday that Brunelle’s refusal to cooperate contributed to their decision not to file a formal charge in the case. Beyond her name and statement, prosecutors didn’t release any other details about her.

It was the latest run-in with authorities for Zimmerman since his 2013 acquittal in the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin. The killing of the unarmed black teen touched off protests across the country.

 

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s