TOPEKA (KSNT) – Students at one south Topeka elementary school didn’t get into their classrooms quite on time Monday morning.
That’s due to a gas leak on the outside of Stout Elementary at 2302 SW College Avenue. The smell was detected just as school was getting ready to start. As a precaution, arriving students were taken to a pre-determined site called a “reunification” site.
According to USD 501 spokesman Ron Harbaugh, each school has a designated site for just such emergencies. And, for Stout Elementary, it’s a church about a block away where students were able to stay warm inside a building while the school building was checked out.
Harbaugh tells KSNT News the school was checked out and the all-clear was given for students to return to school shortly after 9 a.m.