UNICEF: Hundreds of South Sudanese boys believed abducted

JUBA, South Sudan (AP) — The U.N. children’s agency says it believes hundreds of children were abducted two weeks ago by an armed group in South Sudan that is believed to have ties with the country’s military.

UNICEF had previously said at least 89 boys, some as young as 13, were forcibly recruited in mid-February by an armed group near the town of Malakal, the capital of the oil-producing Unity state.

UNICEF said in a statement Saturday that it was “confident that the armed group which took the children … is aligned with” South Sudan’s military.

Jonathan Veitch, the UNICEF representative in South Sudan, said he feared the children “are going from the classroom to the front line.”

South Sudan’s government has condemned the abductions, saying the military is investigating what happened.

 

 

 

 

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s