Sentencing for man who pleaded no contest in capital murder case

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — A Topeka man who surprised many observers by pleading no contest in a capital murder case plans to withdraw the plea.

King Phillip Amman Reu-El, formerly known as Phillip Cheatham Jr., told The Topeka Capital-Journal Wednesday that he will withdraw the plea he made last Friday and seek to have his case dismissed.

Amman Reu-El avoided the death penalty by pleading no contest as jury selection was beginning for a trial in the 2003 deaths of killing two women and the wounding of a third. He said it was obvious the potential jurors had already decided to convict him and sentence him to death.

His original conviction was overturned by the Kansas Supreme Court because of ineffective counsel in first trial.

Sentencing is set for March 20.

 

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s