LAWRENCE (KSNT) – Just before 10:00 Thursday evening, Lawrence and Douglas County Fire and Medical were called to a reported structure fire.
The fire was located on the 700 block of Lake Street. Initial crews arriving found light smoke coming from the two-story, wood-framed, single family residence.
A small fire was eventually found and quickly extinguished in a first floor laundry closet. The fire was under control around 10:00.
The family was alerted by smoke detectors and got out of the home safely prior to crews arriving. Family pets were also located and safely removed by the fire department. No injuries were reported.
The investigation is ongoing at this time and the Douglas County chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the displaced occupants.