Emporia apartment fire leaves dozens homeless

EMPORIA (KSNT) – Late Monday afternoon the Emporia Fire Department announced that a fire which left the occupants of 15 apartments homeless Sunday was an accident caused by carelessly disposed smoking materials.

Investigators spent the Monday sifting through debris ad speaking with residents and witnesses to the 4 a.m. Sunday morning fire which destroyed the entire apartment complex.

By the time fire fighters arrived, the entire building was in flames, fortunately there were no serious injuries although two people were recovering from smoke inhalation.

The Emporia Senior Center is now open as a temporary shelter for the residents.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s