TOPEKA (KSNT) — Just before 7:30 p.m. Saturday, the Topeka Fire Department received a call from an off-duty Topeka firefighter who drove past a house and observed an unusual orange glow inside.
He turned around to check and noticed that the living room of 1704 SW Fillmore St. was on fire, so he called the Topeka Fire Department.
When crews arrived, they saw heavy smoke and flames inside the house, but found no people inside. Crews did find a dog, however, who died despite resuscitation attempts.
Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire and ventilated the house.
The American Red Cross assisted one adult and two children.
The preliminary investigation revealed that the fire was “incendiary,” or set intentionally, and that it began in the living room.
There were $45,000 worth of damages; $30,000 was structural and $15,000 was content loss.