TOPEKA, Kan. – Neighbors in the area of SW 10th Street and SW Woodward Avenue smelled smoke and went to investigate. The neighbors discovered a house on fire at 1107 SW Woodward Avenue, Topeka, KS 66604. The Topeka Fire Department was summoned at 8:45 PM.
Topeka Fire Department crews arriving on scene reported flames and smoke from the back of the house. Crews entered the two story house and performed a search for occupants. During the search for occupants, the staircase collapsed. No occupants were found in the house. No firefighters were injured. Fire crews performed an aggressive fire attack to prevent the fire from spreading to neighboring houses.
The fire was extinguished and the smoke was ventilated. The fire was contained to the building of origin. Fire crews cleared the fire scene just before 11:30 PM.
A Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to the house fire to determine the origin and cause for the fire. The following is a brief summary;
- Preliminary investigation indicates the fire cause to be incendiary, intentionally set.
- The origin was determined to be within the 1st floor, southwest exterior corner
- Estimated dollar loss – $13,000 (Thirteen Thousand Dollars) in structural damage.
- This fire had a response of three (3) Engine Companies, one (1) Aerial Ladder, one (1) Truck Company, three (3) Battalion Chiefs, one (1) Safety Officer, one (1) Deputy Chief and an Investigator.
- Other agencies providing assistance; Topeka Police Department, AMR, Kansas Gas Service, Westar Energy and SCECC dispatch.
Any individuals with information about the circumstances of this fire are being asked to please contact Crime Stoppers at (785)234-0007, Toll Free at 1-800-222 TIPS (8477), or they can text to: CRIMES (274637) and use TIP128 @ start of message. Crime Stoppers offers cash rewards of up to $2,000.00 for information on any felony crime in Topeka or Shawnee County.