A toddler’s actions during a house fire may have been what saved her mother’s life.
Firefighters were called to a fire at a mobile home park on Buckhorn Rd. in Greenville Co. Tuesday afternoon.
The fire was ruled accidental and started around 11:30 a. m.
It happened when an extension cord attached to a space heater caught on fire, which in turn caught the living room and kitchen on fire.
When firefighters got there, flames were coming from the windows and front door of the house, but they were able to put it out pretty quickly.
A two-year-old and her mother were in the house at the time of the fire, and the two-year-old was near the space heater when it caught fire.
Luckily, the toddler made it to the bedroom and woke her mother up in time for them to escape through a back door.
“If it wasn’t for her, we would’ve both died no doubt about it,” the mother, Chelsie Burgess said.
The home is not in liveable condition due to the smoke and water damage. The family said they have lost everything. Other family members have set up a GoFundMe Page to help with their expenses.