Loose ember from machine was the cause of large brush fire

TOPEKA (KSNT) – A loose ember from an incinerator was the source of a brush fire that firefighters have been trying to contain since 10:15 a.m., according to the Topeka Fire Department.

Smoke could be seen across the city from the fire in the 1800 block of SE Madison.

Officials say the fire could take as long as tomorrow morning to put out.

The City of Topeka tweeted that the company Brown’s Tree Service may be where this fire started.

Now the fire department is urging others with asthma or any health problems to be cautious of the smoke.

“There is a lot of smoke coming out so anybody with asthma or COPD should stay away from the smoke,” says Topeka Fire Marshal Michael Martin. “There is potential that the smoke could carry for a long distance.”

The Topeka Fire Department says the winds might be in their favor to fight the fire; but of course, the winds’ direction can always change.

As of right now, we know of no damage to any nearby houses or structures.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s