TOPEKA (KSNT) — The Topeka Fire Department went to 2819 SE Kentucky Ave. just after 6 p.m. on Saturday after getting a call about a structure fire.
Those living in the house were in the backyard and, when they went to go inside, they found that there was smoke in the air. So, they called 911 and tried to put the fire out with a garden hose.
When crews arrived, they saw light smoke coming from the house. They found the fire just inside the front door and within the living room.
The fire was extinguished and it didn’t spread to other rooms.
A TFD Investigations Unit then went to the house to try and find out what started the fire. Their preliminary investigation determined the fire was accidental and probably linked to some kind of electrical malfunction.
The estimated total dollar loss is $25,000, with $20,000 of that being structural and $5,000 of that being content losses.
American Medical Response assisted.