Fire causes nearly $100K in damages at Topeka house

TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) — An accidental fire that was started by a dehumidifier ended up causing almost $100,000 in damages at a Topeka house near the Shunga Trail.

The Topeka Fire Department went to 1824 SW 27th St. after a home protection system detected a fire in the basement at 6:17 in the morning on Wednesday. The system also awakened those inside the house and they made it outside without being injured.

When TFD crews arrived, they saw smoke from their vantage point on the street. Crews entered the house to make sure no one was left inside, then quickly extinguished the fire before it spread to other houses.

The estimated total dollar loss is $95,000, with $55,000 of that being structural and $40,000 of that being content losses. Zach Bottenberg sent an email in the afternoon to local media outlets that said: “The fire origin was in the basement but it had spread to the main floor thus causing much smoke/heat damage to the rest of the house. Hopefully this explains the dollar loss.”

The Fire Investigations Unit determined that the fire was an accident that started in a dehumidifier and was related to an issue with a branch circuit. The dehumidifier was next to a couch in the basement.

Other agencies that helped with this incident were the Shawnee County Emergency Communication Center, AMR, Westar Energy, and the Kansas Gas Service.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s