2 more arrests in Nice truck attack; 49 dead still not identified

A police officer watches people gathering around a floral tribute for the victims killed during a deadly attack, on the famed Boulevard des Anglais in Nice, southern France, Sunday, July 17, 2016. French authorities detained two more people Sunday in the investigation into the Bastille Day truck attack on the Mediterranean city of Nice that killed at least 84 people, as authorities try to determine whether the slain attacker was a committed religious extremist or just a very angry man. (AP Photo/Laurent Cipriani)

NICE, France (AP) — French authorities detained two more people Sunday and released the estranged wife of the slain Nice truck attacker from custody as they tried to determine whether he had been an Islamic extremist or just a very angry man.

The Bastille Day carnage wrought by Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel on the seafront of this southern Mediterranean city claimed the lives of at least 84 people and wounded 202, including many tourists from other countries.

About 85 people remained hospitalized Sunday, and of those, 18 including a child were still in life-threatening condition, Health Minister Marisol Touraine told reporters on a visit to the city.

People look at flowers and light candles laid to honor the victims of an attack, on the Promenade des Anglais, near the area where a truck mowed through revelers in Nice, southern France, Saturday, July 16, 2016. A large truck mowed through revelers gathered for Bastille Day fireworks in Nice, killing scores of people and sending people fleeing into the sea as it bore down for more than a mile along the Riviera city's famed waterfront promenade. Banner reads "Why children ?" (AP Photo/Claude Paris)
People look at flowers and light candles laid to honor the victims of an attack, on the Promenade des Anglais, near the area where a truck mowed through revelers in Nice, southern France, Saturday, July 16, 2016. A large truck mowed through revelers gathered for Bastille Day fireworks in Nice, killing scores of people and sending people fleeing into the sea as it bore down for more than a mile along the Riviera city’s famed waterfront promenade. Banner reads “Why children ?” (AP Photo/Claude Paris)

The Paris prosecutor’s office said only 35 bodies have been definitively identified so far, carried out by specialists with a judicial official present. That left 49 bodies still without identification. Touraine also said one of the hospitalized wounded still has not been identified.

A man and a woman were detained Sunday morning in Nice, according to an official with the Paris prosecutor’s office, which oversees national terrorism investigations.

Shortly afterward, Bouhlel’s estranged wife, who was arrested Friday, was released from custody, according to an official in the Paris prosecutor’s office. She is the mother of Bouhlel’s three children and was in the process of divorcing him.

In total, six people now remain in custody relating to the truck attack — but officials have provided no details about their identities.

Investigators are hunting for possible accomplices to Bouhlel, a 31-year-old Tunisian who had lived in Nice for years. He was killed by police after ramming his truck through crowds after a holiday fireworks display Thursday night.

The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but it’s unclear whether Bouhlel had concrete links to the group. IS said he was following their call to target citizens of countries fighting the extremists.

Neighbors described the attacker as volatile, prone to drinking and womanizing. His father, in Tunisia, said his son did not pray or fast for Ramadan, the Muslim holy month.

But French authorities believe that something may have changed. Prime Minister Manuel Valls told the Journal du Dimanche newspaper that authorities “now know that the killer radicalized very quickly.”

“(IS) is encouraging individuals unknown to our services to stage attacks … that is without a doubt the case in the Nice attack,” he said Sunday.

Nice’s famous Promenade des Anglais, the site of the slaughter, has reopened. Memorials for the dead have been set up on the westbound lane of the road where the victims were mowed down by Bouhlel. Some areas are still stained by blood.

Joggers, bikers and sunbathers cruised down the pedestrian walkway along the glistening Mediterranean Sea on Sunday, where well-wishers placed flowers, French flags, stuffed animals and candles for the victims.

A cyclist watches flowers placed in tribute to one of the victims at the scene of a deadly attack while joggers pass by, on the famed Boulevard des Anglais in Nice, southern France, Sunday, July 17, 2016. French authorities detained two more people Sunday in the investigation into the Bastille Day truck attack on the Mediterranean city of Nice that killed at least 84 people, as authorities try to determine whether the slain attacker was a committed religious extremist or just a very angry man. (AP Photo/Laurent Cipriani)
A cyclist watches flowers placed in tribute to one of the victims at the scene of a deadly attack while joggers pass by, on the famed Boulevard des Anglais in Nice, southern France, Sunday, July 17, 2016. French authorities detained two more people Sunday in the investigation into the Bastille Day truck attack on the Mediterranean city of Nice that killed at least 84 people, as authorities try to determine whether the slain attacker was a committed religious extremist or just a very angry man. (AP Photo/Laurent Cipriani)

The site is also becoming a platform for anger at the attacker. Pained and outraged epitaphs have been written in blue marker on stones placed where police shot him dead.

A woman asked if she could put a yellow potted plant there, unaware of the significance of the spot. A man nearby declared “Never here.” An argument ensued, with other passers-by saying that his family deserved respect.

“Are you defending him?” the man said, incredulously.

Many families are angry and frustrated that they couldn’t find information about their missing loved ones.

The prosecutor’s office says the identification of the 49 bodies is being carried out according to an accelerated procedure established after the Nov. 13 attacks on Paris, using DNA or medical records provided by families.

The prosecutor’s office says it is working as quickly as possible but would not give a time frame for how long the identification process could take.

The families of 12 victims were able to see the bodies of their loves ones Sunday for the first time — three days after the killings.

Many in France are also angry at police and authorities for not preventing the deadly attack, even though France was under a state of emergency imposed after Islamic State attacks last year in Paris.

Valls defended the government’s actions but warned that more lives will be lost to this kind of violence.

“Terrorism will be part of our daily lives for a long time,” he said.

A special church service was being held at a Nice cathedral Sunday in honor of the victims.

___

Charlton reported from Paris. Thomas Adamson in Paris contributed to this report.

 

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s