PHOENIX (AP) — Authorities found the bodies of a mother and her two children inside a home in suburban Phoenix in what could be a case of murder-suicide, authorities said Tuesday.
“We’re leaving a little part open just in case someone else could have caused these three deaths,” the sheriff said.
Arpaio said a neighbor reported seeing a car backed up to a home Monday night in an unincorporated area of Gilbert, east of Phoenix. A hose attached its exhaust pipe went into a window of the two-story, A-framed home, he said.
Arriving detectives found the two children upstairs and the mother’s body in another undisclosed area.
The sheriff identified the woman as Lisa Gerhart, saying she was 45 or 46. Her son was 17, and her daughter was 12. Arpaio did not name the children.
Arpaio said it’ll be up to the county medical examiner’s office to determine if the children died from gunshot wounds or carbon monoxide from the car fumes.
Authorities have contacted the children’s father and investigators were interviewing neighbors and checking records to see if the couple had any history of domestic violence.
Homes in the unincorporated area near Gilbert are surrounded by agricultural land.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)