Authorities lack ‘manpower’ to remove pipeline protest camp

NC_pipelineprotest0818_mezzn

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) -€” Authorities say they won’t immediately remove the Dakota Access oil pipeline protesters who set up a camp on private land along the pipeline route in North Dakota.

Morton County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Donnell Preskey says authorities “don’t have the manpower” currently to remove the more than 100 protesters who are trespassing.

The protesters said in a statement Sunday night that the land is theirs, according to an 1851 treaty. The camp of tents and teepees is in an area near where the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe says it has found several sites of “significant cultural and historic value” and where protesters and private security clashed in September. It’s near a larger camp that’s been in place for months.

The company building the pipeline, Texas-based Energy Transfer Partners, bought the land last month for an undisclosed price.

 

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s