Injured officer expected to ‘fully recover’; Still no ID on injured suspect

TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) – A Topeka Police detective hit by gunfire in an exchange with a robbery suspect is continuing to recover after being hit in the leg and the abdomen. TPD has yet to publicly name the injured officer, although the department has said he’s expected to fully recover. The suspect who was also hit in the gunfight is still alive but does have life-threatening injuries. Police say they have yet to be able to officially identify the suspect who was shot and now fighting to survive. A TPD spokesman said Sunday that the suspect had not been cooperative and had no identification on him for officers and hospital staff to know who he is.

Meanwhile, KSNT News has learned that the second robbery suspect who was arrested is also a registered sex offender from Manhattan. Twenty-eight-year-old Jermaine T. Patton was booked into the Shawnee County jail Saturday night for aggravated robbery, possession of marijuana and felony interference with law enforcement officers. Patton, who goes by the nickname “Baby Jay”, was arrested and convicted a decade ago this month on a felony sex charge. He was convicted of the unlawful, lewd fondling and touching of a 15-year-old girl. The incident happened in Manhattan, and he was convicted as a juvenile in Riley County. Patton’s registration as a sex offender is due to end in December 2017.

Last night gunfire erupted around 7:40 p.m after police spotted the suspects of a gas station robbery about an hour earlier. Both the robbery and the later shootout happened in Topeka’s Oakland neighborhood. Police spotted the suspect car near NE Woodruff Ave. and NE Atchison Ave. Officers saw two men run from the car, and a shootout ensued “As officers attempted to take the (second) suspect into custody, gunfire was exchanged between the suspect and the officers,” Topeka police said.

Patton was arrested. The suspect injured in the exchange got away but was found a short time later.

The officer that was shot is “expected to make a [full] recovery.” Lt. Colleen Stuart said Saturday night. “Our officers are holding up very well.”

It was just more than two years ago that Topeka Police lost an officer in the line-of-duty. Corporal Jason Harwood was shot and killed by a man during a traffic stop. Nearly four years ago next month, two other TPD officers were also killed in the line-of-duty. Officer Jeff Atherly and Corporal David Gogian were responding to a call at a Topeka grocery store.

This past April, three federal officers were shot at a Topeka motel while serving an arrest warrant. Thankfully, all three agents survived.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s