Courtesy: Washburn Athletics
• The Washburn Ichabod football team will make its first postseason appearance since 2011 and its first bowl game trip since 2010 returning to the Mineral Water Bowl on Dec. 3 to take on Bemidji State with a 12 p.m. kickoff in Excelsior Springs, Mo.
• The Ichabods are making their second trip to the Mineral Water Bowl with the last trip coming in 2004 when they defeated Northern State (S.D.) 36-33.
• Bemidji State finished the season 8-3 and they last played in Mineral Water Bowl in 2006 falling to Pittsburg State 35-27.
• The Ichabods (7-4, 7-4 MIAA) are coming off a 30-3 loss to No. 9-ranked Emporia State in the regular season finale.
• The Beavers (8-3, 8-3 NSIC) blasted Minnesota Crookston 76-13 in its final game of the season and finished second in the north division with a 5-2 record.
• Washburn finished in a three-way tie for fourth in the MIAA standings with Fort Hays State and Pittsburg State.
• With the win over Missouri Western, the Ichabods clinched their 11th winning season under head coach Craig Schurig in his 15 seasons.
• Washburn is 4-1 in postseason bowl games.
• Since the Mineral Water Bowl moved from a junior college bowl game to the current NCAA Division II game, the MIAA has gone 10-6 against the Northern Sun Conference … the NSIC has won the last two games.
• The Ichabods have had 79 plays of longer than 20 yards this season including 19 of more than 40 yards.
• On the ground, the Ichabods are averaging 4.2 yards per carry on first down, 4.0 yards per carry on second down and 3.6 yards per carry on third down … on fourth down the Ichabods are averaging 0.3 yards per carry on 14 attempts.
• When passing, Washburn is 51 of 92 on first down, 44 of 85 on second down, 49 of 118 on third down and 4 of 10 on fourth down.
• The Ichabods are ranked eighth in the nation in passing yards per completion at 15.9 per catch.
• Washburn is 14th in the nation in turnovers gained and 26th in turnover margin.
• The Ichabods are 12th in the MIAA in penalties with 83 for 781 yards averaging 71.0 yards per game … Washburn is 11th in opponent penalties at 69 for an average of 52.9 yards per game.
Washburn Ichabod head coach Craig Schurig . . .
• was named head coach of the Ichabod football program Dec. 28, 2001.
• is 103-68 (.611) in his 15th season as the Ichabod head coach.
• is 85-58 (.603) against the MIAA.
• has led the Ichabods to three NCAA Playoff appearances and two bowl appearance championships.
• led the Ichabods to the 2005 MIAA regular season outright championship.
• led the Ichabods to the program’s first 10-win season and their first NCAA or NAIA playoff game victory in school history with a win over Abilene Christian during the 2011 season.
• is Washburn’s all-time winningest football coach with 101 wins.
• is 0-0 against Bemidji State.
Bemidji State interim head coach Brent Bolte. . .
• is 8-3 in his first season as the Beavers’ head coach.
• is in his 18th season on the Bemidji State coaching staff and his 15th as a full-time assistant coach in 2016.
• After spending three seasons on the staff, Bolte received a promotion to full-time assistant coach in August 2003. He was named Co-Defensive Coordinator in 2005 and since has helped mastermind one of the best defenses in the nation.
• is 0-0 against Washburn.