Firefighters battle house fire in central Topeka Wednesday night

TOPEKA (KSNT) – Firefighters responded to a structure fire at 229 NW Story St. The fire started shortly before 9:00 p.m. Wednesday.

Crews closed I-70 exits to MacVicar and MacVicar Avenue in both directions for precautionary reasons while they put the fire out.

Other roads around the area were being detoured while fire crews work to get the fire under control.

The family who live at the home weren’t there when the fire started. Two adults and two children have been displaced

The Topeka Fire Department says the cause of the fire was accidental from an electrical space heater.

Estimated dollar loss is $61,000.  $46,000 structural loss and $15,000 contents loss.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s