VANCOUVER, Wash. (KGW) – A 4-year-old Vancouver, Washington boy has died after what seemed like a routine dentist visit last week.
Mykel Peterson was put under with anesthesia to fill a cavity, but never woke up. The dental office where it happened, Must Love Kids, was closed Monday. An employee who came to the door, said it was out of support for employees and the boy’s family after what happened Friday.
The Washington State Department of Health says it’s now reviewing the case to decide if they’ll open an investigation. The Clark County Medical Examiner says the cause of death is pending until toxicology results are finalized in six to eight weeks.
“He didn’t want to go, he was saying no. He was crying, not hysterically just whining,” said his mother Thmeka Curry.
His mother says Mykel is on the autism spectrum. His speech and behavior had been making big strides this year. It’s why he needed special attention at the dentist.
“He woulnd’t keep his mouth open so they can actually see what’s going on,” Curry explained.