10 Manhattan lifeguards treated for chlorine exposure

(KSNT Photo/Willis Scott)

MANHATTAN, Kan. (KSNT) – Riley County Police and other emergency crews were in the area of the 500 block of Griffith Dr. due to a chlorine exposure.

First responders were on the scene Wednesday afternoon where Manhattan’s Northview Pool is located. They said there was no danger outside of the pool area.

Melissa Kirkwood, a spokesperson with Manhattan Parks and Recreation told KSNT News eight lifeguards at Northview Park were taken to the hospital. Later Wednesday afternoon, she said two other lifeguards went to the hospital as well. She said no one was seriously affected.

The lifeguards jumped into the pool during a “heat break.” This is when the public is required to get out of the pool and lifeguards are allowed to get in to cool down. Manhattan Parks and Rec. said it appears the chlorine was released at that time which is why only the lifeguards and not the public was affected.

Kirkwood said the chlorine release came from an equipment malfunction caused by a lightning strike earlier this month.

“We do know that it was a serious of events that unfortunately occurred, she said. “An earlier lightening strike probably led to the malfunctioning.”

Emergency crews left the area just before 3:30 p.m. with staff returning to the pool area.

The Manhattan Fire Department tweeted at 3:36 p.m. that the leak has been contained. According the Manhattan Parks and Recreation Department, the pool remains closed, until further notice.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s