Gas leak causes multiple businesses to evacuate near downtown Topeka

(KSNT Photo/Willis Scott) @WillisKSNT

TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) – A gas leak Friday morning caused multiple businesses near downtown Topeka to be evacuated.

A Kansas Gas Service spokeswoman tells KSNT News a construction crew struck a 2 inch line in the 500 block of Jefferson.

The Ramada Inn and several other businesses were evacuated. The Topeka Fire Department said approximately 200 people were evacuated.

Just after 11:00 a.m. Topeka Police reported it was safe and were allowing people back inside the hotel.

The Topeka Fire Department posted on Twitter at 11:20 a.m. that the leak appeared to be under control at this time.

Crews from Kansas Gas Service were able to stop the leaking natural gas by shutting down the line. Topeka Fire Department crews, along with Kansas Gas Service and Topeka Water Pollution Control workers began ventilating the sanitary sewer system to isolate the spread of gas. Kansas Gas Service and Topeka Fire Department crews used gas detection devices to ensure all business and the sanitary sewer system had been cleared of natural gas.

Kansas Gas Service said it will take several hours to make the repairs and restore gas in the area.

KSNT News has a crew on the scene and will update when new information becomes available.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s